Creative Services Director
Stanford University Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE)
Stanford University Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE) is looking for an experienced Creative Services Manager to join our Communications team. If you’re looking for daily variety and an opportunity to challenge yourself and grow as a team leader in design and production, this may be the opportunity for you.
This role is a critical part of our effort to support R&DE in audience engagement and business optimization while offering best in the business services to the university community. The incumbent will be called upon to manage and mentor a talented creative team while ensuring an effective production process including concept development, task assignments and scheduling, approval and delivery.
R&DE is an award-winning organization in which every employee represents our values of excellence, teamwork, innovation, diversity and sustainability. We’re looking for a talented leader who understands strategic communications. If you’re looking for a challenging opportunity to grow as a communicator, read the job description below and follow the instructions to apply.
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus.
Residential & Dining Enterprises, the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the university by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $230 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, provides housing for over 12,000 students, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 500,000 meals at athletic concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. R&DE comprises 660 FTE staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost (SAVP), Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology and Communications.
Directs the development and implementation of marketing activities for multiple offerings, enabling programs, services, events and/or products to meet organizational objectives. Drives cross-functional collaboration across the organization. Selects, develops and evaluates a team of staff, as well as the management of outside vendors, to ensure effective operation.
- Supervise, coordinate and ensure the on-time and orderly flow of all creative/production from job initiation to its final delivery.
- Lead and strengthen a team including graphic designers, photographer/videographer and production assistant by providing regular informal and formal feedback, supporting individual development plans and coaching project and relationship management skills.
- Develop project schedules. Manage and track the design, approval and production processes of projects using our project management tool.
- Develop and execute marketing strategies and marketing plans/programs to meet departmental and/or organizational objectives.
- Manage the execution of communication and brand strategy for multiple programs incorporating appropriate channels (i.e., web presence, digital and print).
- Oversee market research and analysis. Use the results to inform decisions regarding strategic marketing direction, product segmentation and customer targeting.
- Assess market opportunities and track market trends. Implement marketing improvements based on findings.
- Foster partnerships with other school, department, product, service, program, event and/or channel managers.
- Responsibility for staff including the recruitment, management, development, and retention of staff.
- Set budget, goals, and objectives in alignment with organizational goals.
- Oversee event management as needed to support marketing objectives.
- Manage vendor relationships.
* – Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and ten years of relevant experience; or a combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience managing creative teams in design and production.
- Demonstrated marketing management skills and the ability to work effectively with decision-makers across many levels of an organization.
- Extensive knowledge of strategic analysis, customer segmentation strategies and business and marketing planning.
- Highly detail oriented with strong ability to understand constituent needs and lead teams toward a common goal.
- Strategic thinking and leadership skills.
- Proven track record with branding, integrated marketing strategy, messaging and positioning.
- Excellent project manager with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience presenting to senior management.
- Ability to motivate, develop and train staff.
- Prior experience in planning and managing budgets.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, use a telephone, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, speaking.
- Occasionally grasp forcefully, writing by hand.
- Rarely sort/file paperwork.
* – Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Occasional work on evenings and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.