Corporate PR Manager
Palo Alto, CA
Global Communications Team:
Story-telling is at the heart of VMware’s future growth; with great stories we inspire our customers, influencers, stakeholders and employees about the positive impact VMware technologies can have in business and in our communities. The Global Communications team leads the storytelling function at VMware. We are a team of around 40 communications professionals spanning public relations, industry analyst relations, thought leadership campaigns, and executive and employee communications. It’s a fast paced, dynamic, and exciting environment. We’re looking for team members with a great attitude, who are smart, thoughtful, collaborative and organized, and who thrive at the center of always-on communications.
PR Manager Overview:
We are looking for a manager-level professional who will join the team responsible for communicating the company business objectives. This individual will use storytelling to positively impact VMware’s company reputation, showcasing areas such as executive leadership, VMware’s innovation engine, company financial results, VMware’s unique culture, and public policy issues that may impact the company. You will be responsible for developing interesting stories that resonate with external stakeholders, helping VMware “show up” in new and interesting ways and working in tight collaboration across communications, corporate functions and business units.
– Content: Manage the creation for key communications vehicles, including news releases, media pitches, spokesperson quotes, messaging documents, FAQs, award submissions and social media content.
– Announcements: Help the broader PR team extend the corporate announcements and product launches into storytelling opportunities to expand media coverage and industry dialogue.
– Media: Help expand the reach to new and interesting external media outlets, social channels and contribute to VMware’s own digital news and thought leadership site. Collaborate to secure high impact coverage on proactive storytelling.
– Strategic Communications: Work across the Global Communications team to land “connected communications” outcomes.
– Trusted Advisor: Over time provide effective communications counsel to executives, corporate spokespeople and other stakeholders
– Global Reach: Collaborate with global teams create, build and execute storytelling directed at external influencers at a global scale
– News Bureau: Participate in a news bureau effort to identify and drive a regular drumbeat of VMW stories to support our business goals. As part of this news bureau become great at opportunistic storytelling by inserting our voice into topical, industry and competitive news-cycles.
Qualifications & Skills:
The candidate will have experience creating, managing and executing PR and storytelling programs for high-profile enterprise technology brands. She or he should be an awesome communicator, a storyteller by nature, a and a news junkie who wants to always participate in that next story. The individual in this role will be able to distill complex concepts into compelling stories and develop a range of platforms to tell them. Strong writing, media relations, presentation and program measurement skills are a must. He or she will also have experience collaborating across functional teams and possess the ability to influence, build consensus and drive action in a fluid work environment.
At least 6 years in technology public relations / corporate communications or related experience with a high-growth publicly held company. Deep public relations experience within the IT infrastructure software industry an advantage.
Adept at both the art and science of PR – wonderful creativity combined with a clear head for business.
Strong media/influencer relationships; traditional media relations and social media expertise.
Strategic, creative thinker and collaborator; able to manage and engage across multiple projects and develop positive relationships across the business.
Exceptional written and oral communications skills.
BS/BA in Business, Marketing, or Communications preferred