Director of Communications
Mountain View, CA
El Camino Health is committed to hiring, retaining and growing the best and brightest professionals who will carry our mission and vision forward. We are proud of our reputation in the community: One built on compassion, innovation, collaboration and delivering high-quality care. Come join the team that makes this happen.
In collaboration with senior health system leadership, the Director of Communications develops and plans the organization’s external and internal communications strategy, channels and tactics. The Director manages a team that serves as custodians of El Camino Health’s organizational and industry narratives. They achieve this through collaboration across the company, as well as externally with customers and stakeholders, to shape and tell on-brand, relevant and fresh stories. Responsible for developing and executing external and internal messaging and communications across all stakeholder audiences including: patients, consumers, employees, physicians, nurses, community leaders, government, industry, related to the organization’s strategic plan, organizational changes and direction, important organization announcements and events, operational issues, foundation, and community relations. Responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with media, industry thought leaders, and community leaders. The Director of Communications works collaboratively with C-level executives and senior leadership to ensure that messaging is both on-brand and consistent.
- Reporting to the VP of Marketing and Communications, the Director of Communications manages a team and works with the executive leaders to develop an integrated organization-wide communications plan with key messages for patients, consumers, employees, physicians, nurses, and other stakeholders that align with the organization’s strategies and goals to help build and maintain brand health and corporate reputation.
- Creates and manages overall on-brand messaging architecture, editorial calendar, and communications for CEO and CMO (Chief Medical Officer); serves as primary speechwriter, and communications counsel for CEO across all communications channels.
- Works with senior leadership to establish thought leadership agenda to position El Camino Health as an industry leader.
- Works with Human Resources and other appropriate departments to manage internal communications including channels, tactics, events such as all-employee meetings, small group meetings hosted by senior leadership and looks for improvement opportunities.
- Collaborates with physician-facing and service lines leadership, and other departments to develop and execute communications strategies.
- Manages public relations, media relations, crisis communications, and provides crisis counsel to senior leadership. Manages relationships with external agencies and serves as a spokesperson for the company.
- Manages and executes messaging for the organization’s social media properties, including a social media editorial calendar, and uses analytics tools to measure effectiveness.
- Responsible for overall Masterbrand content strategy, development, and editorial review including managing planning, process management, and execution for editorial calendars for various audiences.
- Collaborates with Manager of Digital Solutions and IT to ensure the patient experience includes on-brand content tied to overarching content strategy.
- Works with the President of the Foundation on communications strategy and manages resources to ensure content is developed on-brand in the Foundation “voice”.
- Works with Government and Community Relations leadership on district and government stakeholder communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism or related field.
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience in corporate/internal communications, including CEO communications and speech writing.
- Experience in healthcare preferred.
- Experience as a corporate communications strategist and thought leader.
- Excellent writing and communications skills.
- Knowledge of video and video production.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work closely with employees from all levels of an organization.
- Advanced computer knowledge, knowledge of social media platforms, e-mail communication tools, and web analytical tools.
- Advanced knowledge of AP Style.