Director of Media Relations & Public Affairs
Joining Intuitive Surgical means becoming part of an organization that strives to make surgery more effective, less invasive and easier on surgeons, patients and their families.
As a member of the Global Public Affairs team, the Director of Media Relations is responsible for contributing to all facets of the Intuitive Surgical Media Relations program including: developing the company narrative and pursuing proactive media coverage; serving as a company spokesperson; working cross-functionally with subject matter experts; triaging media inquiries; drafting media statements and press materials and supporting functional development across the enterprise.
Roles and Responsibilities
This position is expected to support the advancement of the Global Public Affairs team, which includes the following responsibilities:
• Executing planning and development of comprehensive media relations programs with department leadership
• Working cross-functionally within the organization to mine proactive story telling opportunities, including contributing to the company newsletter
• Triaging day-to-day media queries, including development of statements and materials
• Prioritizing requests, engaging reporters and anticipating story angles
• Providing media counsel to internal spokespeople, including executives, as required
• Coordinating development of and to press materials
• Helping to build global media relations capacity, including spokesperson development and media training
• Regular and consistent contact with marketing, legal, investor relations, clinical and sales management teams to ensure alignment
• Maintaining and developing reporter relationships through thoughtful engagement
• Attending medical meetings/financial conferences to provide media relations support
• Monitoring social media platforms and crafting associated engagement content, when needed
Writing and Editing
• Candidate must have superior writing and editing skills on all tasks, including press releases, media plans and materials, clinical and policy communications
• Understanding key industry issues related to robotic-assisted surgery products, emerging technologies, competition and general issues facing the industry
• Experience working with TV, radio, print and digital media outlets. Existing relationships with healthcare and/or medtech industry reporters is desirable, but not required.
Competency Requirements: (Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience.) In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must be:
• Team-oriented with proven track record of results
• Willing to contribute to projects that fall outside of core responsibilities, as needed
• Possess the ability to execute in a fast-paced environment
• Have experience working in a global corporate environment
• An exceptional writer with matching verbal communication skills
• Able to meet deadlines while multi-tasking
• Someone with previous corporate communications, public relations agency or journalism experience
• Interested in or have experience with medical device, healthcare, technology
• Minimum 10 years of related experience and a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.