Government Relations Supervisor (Supervising Program Administrator)
San Jose, CA
Do you have six (6) or more years of public policy experience? Do you thrive in fast-paced, heavy-workload environments where you’re called on to think on your feet and pivot on a dime AND where your work really matters? If so, you’ll want to check out Valley Water’s Government Relations Supervisor position.
Valley Water (district) is responsible for an integrated water resources system that includes the supply of clean and safe water, flood protection, and stewardship of streams on behalf of Santa Clara County’s almost two million residents. The district manages 10 dams and surface water reservoirs, three water treatment plants, a state-of-the-art water quality laboratory, 400 acres of groundwater recharge ponds, and 275 miles of streams. The district also manages the groundwater basins for the benefit of well owners and provides wholesale water to local municipalities and private water retailers who deliver water to homes and businesses throughout the county.
In this dynamic and highly visible role as Government Relations Supervisor at Valley Water, you will lead a team ensuring the success of Valley Water’s legislative, policy and funding initiatives at the local, state and federal level on behalf of the residents of Santa Clara County. You will shape public policy and opinion while building Valley Water’s image, brand and reputation.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Drive Valley Water’s Government Relations program and team, managing the development, implementation, and analysis of program goals, objectives, budgets, policies, procedures, and priorities.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop legislative proposals for consideration by Valley Water management and the Board of Directors.
- Build and maintain relationships and coalitions with elected officials, their staffs, government and regulatory agencies, and relevant stakeholder organizations.
- Represent Valley Water at external meetings, influencing stakeholders and fostering relationships with key policy and decision makers.
- Advocate for support and advancement of Valley Water’s high-priority legislative and funding initiatives from elected and appointed officials and advocacy stakeholders.
- Continually monitor the legislative and policy landscape, reporting out on relevant legislation, forecasting strategic opportunities, and flagging areas of concern for internal partners.
- Develop and implement strategies to work with other influential constituencies to advance policy positions.
- Execute strategic external stakeholder partnership activities at the local, state and federal levels.
- Prepare and present strategic outreach plans and white papers.
- Conduct strategic advocacy tours and oversee the community partnering sponsorship and community events programs.
- Interpret regulatory requirements and proposals; advising Valley Water staff; developing new processes and procedures to meet new or anticipated requirements.
- Directly supervise three team members.
Closing Date for Applications: February 24, 2020
For detailed information regarding requirements and qualifications for this opening and to apply online, please see the job posting by clicking on the following link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/scvwd
For details, please visit our website: www.valleywater.org