PRSA Silicon Valley dipped its collective ears, voices and toes into Clubhouse last week when Smart Media Hustle Founder Ramon Ray engaged, entertained and enlightened a global group of some 50 PR professionals. MC’d by Chapter President/HP Global Head of Print Communications Vanessa Yanez and backed up by Executive Board Advisor/Redphlag CEO Gerry Corbett, this #FridayForum’s topics included social media, the future of media, PR careers, networking and venture funding, to name a few.
Founded in 2020, Clubhouse is a voice-based social network app that’s quickly built a reputation as the next great place for people to meet, talk, and share ideas. It lets you create and join “rooms” where you can chat with others in a big conference call. There are no pictures, videos, or text — just audio.
Clubhouse App Facts
- Download through the Apple App Store (Android version is in development)
- Membership is by invitation only
- A “drop-in audio” format facilitates real-time conversations; everyone gets to ask questions, raise issues, seek and give advice
- Members are encouraged to create profiles with definable interests
- Virtual discussion rooms are based on interests and other factors
How to Succeed at Using Clubhouse
- Be a great listener, be honest, open, thoughtful and professional; above all, just “be yourself”
- If you want to speak, raise your hand and be prepared to add value to the discussion
- When you’re done, return back to the audience
For example, during the 2/12 #FridayForum, a new PR pro asked for advice on how to use Clubhouse to get ahead, career-wise. Attendees suggested:
- Follow people who are doing what you want to do and read what they write
- Ask questions and engage in dialogue based on your interests
- Most important, find a mentor or even a board of mentors
Welcoming More Voices
We predict this app is here to stay. Based on the success of our first #FridayForum on the new Clubhouse app, PRSA-SV definitely plans to use this platform again in the future. Let us know what you think.