Local Bay Area nonprofit organization to launch second annual scholarship to increase diversity in PR industry
SILICON VALLEY, December 1, 2021 – PRSA Silicon Valley, part of the nation’s largest professional organization serving the communications community, today announced the launch of the chapter’s second annual diversity and multicultural scholarship.
Established in 2020, the PRSA Silicon Valley Diversity and Multicultural Scholarship annually assists and recognizes students for outstanding academic achievement and commitment to the practice of public relations. The goal of this scholarship is to increase the diversity of the future profession, leading to a more representative community of Bay Area public relations and communications professionals.
In its inaugural year, the scholarship received more than 60 corporate, agency, and individual donations, tripling the $20,000 fundraising goal to $70,000 – converting the fund into an endowment that will be used to provide scholarships for many, many years to come.
“Thanks to the outpouring of support from our industry peers and the local community, we awarded college students from the University of San Francisco, San Jose State University, and Stanford in our first year,” said Jazmin Eusebio, PRSA Silicon Valley Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Chair. “Among them were single parents, immigrants, innovators, and more of all, the future of the PR industry. I’m excited to continue momentum with the announcement of our 2022 scholarship.”
Meet the 2021 scholarship recipients in a video put together by the PRSA Silicon Valley’s Multimedia team, Mega Jewell and Maxwell Morgan.
Applications for the 2022 PRSA Silicon Valley Diversity and Multicultural Scholarship will open on January 1, 2022, and close on April 30, 2022. Current undergraduate students pursuing a communications or PR degree at an accredited college or university are invited to apply when submissions open.
PRSA Silicon Valley is committed to providing professional development opportunities that are both reflective and inclusive of our society’s segments. Our goal is to provide communications programming that encompasses various ideas, perspectives, and cultural backgrounds.
- Join as a Member: PRSA is a network of thousands of public relations and communications professionals in local and regional communities around the world. Members receive access to a suite of tools, content and events that foster professional development and enhance career growth.
- Join the Board: The PRSA Silicon Valley Board of Directors provides a network designed to build deep professional connections through mentorship, collaboration and networking. For more information about joining the board, contact Vanessa Yanez.
- Partner With Us: Want to build brand leadership while capturing the attention of journalists, potential clients or prospective employees? Consider sponsoring a #FridayForum and other 2021 events. For more info, visit the Sponsorships page on our website or contact Judith Cushman.
- Become a Mentor: We aim to encourage, educate, and engage with diverse communications professionals while affecting change and fostering growth in the public relations industry. For more information contact our mentorship team.
- Speak at a #FridayForum Event: Since launching in April 2020, #FridayForum has welcomed industry leaders and tackled issues of importance to PR professionals such as recruitment, career development, diversity and inclusion, consumer trust, and public health. If you would like to attend and/or speak at a future #FridayForum, contact Karen Smyth.
- Join the Agency Advisory Board: Enhance your connection to the communications agency community by engaging with senior executives from other Bay Area firms. To nominate someone for the advisory board, contact Syreeta Mussante.
About PRSA Silicon Valley
PRSA Silicon Valley is a community-driven organization focused on empowering communications professionals looking to cultivate their best careers. A subsidiary Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America, PRSA Silicon Valley is part of a national network of more than 20,000 communication professionals focused on connecting and supporting individuals at all stages of their careers.